Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Whatever Nemo....I like the Big Fish



Sunday was a rainy yucky day, we stayed in our PJs all day and were recovering from Mardi Gras. Then at the end of the day we got our act together and braved the rain and went to the Sydney Aquarium in Darling Harbor. We took a bus to the city, but I made the group hop off at what I thought was our stop, but it wasn't we weren't even close. So then we were wandering around the city looking for the aquarium or something recognizable. And did I mention that it was pouring rain! ops, my bad. We hailed a cab and got front door service!

The aquarium was cool, but it really annoys me that its nearly impossible to take pictures! You cant use the flash because it just reflects back and if you don't use the flash its too dark or blurry. But I managed. Anywho I enjoyed seeing the crocodiles and all the exotic fish. There were some stairs you could go up to get an over head view of the croc, and with that there was the funniest sign ever! "if the fall doesn't kill you...the crocodile will" it even illustrated it! I saw the biggest lobster ever! although it probably wasn't a lobster because I have never seen one this big! It had to be the size of a small child! At this point I started to develop a huge crazing for seafood, especially a lobster of that size! There were three special exhibits that were really cool especially the design of them. We went to see the Dugong aka the Mermaids of the Sea. They are almost identical to Manatees, but Alexis really wanted to see them. The tank was an extension of the building and built right out into the harbor. You walk down a ramp for seemed forever and then you end up in these glass tubes and you are basically walking through the tank and the Dugons are swimming above you! So cool! This was also the set up for the Sharks and Great Barrier reef exhibits too. It was really cool/scary to see these mean looking sharks gliding so close to me! Ekk! but it makes for good photo ops!

Of course we found the Nemo's and Doris, but I though the Bruces (aka sharks), stoned sea turtles and Steve Irwin's favorites... the massive sting rays were much cooler! Glad I got to check that off my list of things to do!

2 comments:

  1. So jealous! The aquarium sounds awesome. Your new brown hair looks really cute, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks amazing and your photos are great in spite of all. love your blog, sweets! you too :)
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete