Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Mardi Gras...Aussie Style




Early Saturday night we got ready for the annual Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras parade in downtown Sydney. We got all dressed up in bright colors and glitter, although, we looked like squares compared to everyone else. I guess anything goes outfit wise for this parade, there were people with angle wings and face paint, to full on Halloween costumes, to tall sequined boots paired with sparkling underwear and wigs. It was WILD! There were tons and tons of people there more people than I have ever seen at a parade in NYC! We got there a bit late but surprisingly we were able to again manage our way to the front of the crowd and get a good view. The parade started with the lesbian bikers on their Harley's trailing rainbow flags, then the techno started...the crowd was so lively everyone singing and dancing, even the security guards were gay and they were dancing along with the crowd while we waited for the floats to come. Then the floats started to come, we only saw 5 or 6 but they were extravagant! I liked that some of the people walking in the parade had choreographed dances and themes. Some were odd and not very distinct but my favorite one was the lifeguard one, there background music was beach boys and they were all wearing their Speedos and they had water guns and were spraying the crowd. We didn't stay the whole parade because it was getting a bit claustrophobic...but all the restaurants around the parade grounds stayed open late and set up outside stands, smart move. We grabbed some pizza and jumped on the bus to go home (we are getting pretty good at this bus and public trans thing) All and all it was such a fun night!!

Unfortunately I had an awesome video that I spent quite some time editing and making and now I cant up load it! Ugh! Ill try again tomorrow but I really hope you guys get to see it! I worked really hard on it and I'm really proud of it!

3 comments:

  1. awesome blog Mo. I am so happy for you. I know the aussies sure are fun. In college we had 3 australians on our softball team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool....great posts and photos!xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm taking you everywhere I go once you get back - you are the ultimate crowd navigator! Front row everywhere! Of course, it helps to be a hot 21 yr old sorority girl. :)

    ReplyDelete