Monday, March 16, 2009

Goodbye Sweatpants and Comfy Clothes!

At school in Indiana I barely make any effort to look nice for class. Most of the time I roll out of bed and throw on my baggy sweatpants and a sweatshirt and I'm off to class. Which is not that big of deal, a lot of people dress that way at school too. But not here, that's for sure, everyone gets really dressed up for their day at school. Probably more dressed up than I would if I was going out! Its crazy, heels and everything. So unfortunately I cant roll out of bed and go to class, I need to get incredibly dressed up therefore get up early. Yuck!Anyway I have completed my first week of classes at University of New South Wales (UNSW) and other than getting dressed up, it has been great! I am taking some very interesting classes and I really like the campus. I am taking four classes, Intro to film studies in which I have watched "Do The Right Thing" and "Rebel Without a Cause" and I am also taking an Australian Cinema and TV where we watched a very interesting movie "Ten Canoes" --for you artsy movie buffs that want to see a good Aussie film I suggest looking it up. I am taking two more classes, Intro to Criminology and Australian History class, both are interesting but we havent learned much yet since its still so early in the semester. I really like my criminology teacher, hes from England and very fabulous!Campus is beautiful too, it has large courtyards and grassy areas that students sit and hang out in between classes. The campus is very green, there are tons of trees around campus and fountains down hidden pathways, and also cool modern sculptures (my fav one above). I really like how the campus is full of very modern new buildings but its littered with trees and green spaces. I'm unsure if UNSW campus is much bigger than IU it feels like it. But there is defiantly more people on the campus, most students stay on campus all day and hang out, where at IU that doesn't really happen.

All classes have two components, a lecture and a tutorial aka "Tuts". I am usually the only American in the Tuts which is interesting because they always ask me about the American point of view, which sucks because I was hopping to blend in. I am really self conscious about my accent here because there is no hiding that I'm an outsider. And everyone whips their head around to hear the American! scary! I haven't yet figured out the homework yet, which I should hurry up and do because I think I have some due tonight! ekk! So I better go and plan my outfit for tomorrow (joking) and get my homework done!

1 comment:

  1. thinking you took plenty of clothes....ahem!...must be the loveliest girl on campus!
    great post, love that sculpture too. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete