Sunday, May 31, 2009

:::Market, Mice, Road Trip::: Melbourne dos!


The day after the footy game me and Court woke up semi early and went out to explore some more, by this point our trip was coming to an end and we hadn't seen much of the city, we have been having an awesome time, we just hadn't seen much. The boys had told us that we needed to go to the market and check it out. This is where they did most of their grocery shopping, for the fresh foods at least. It was crazy they were auctioning off meats and vegetables, it was very hectic. There were some stands further in that reminded me of good old Italian delis and home with the meat hanging and the cheese display. It was cool to see and funny to hear the Italian Aussie accent! Also in the market there were cheap vendors selling clothes and other junk, it always fun to look at. I actually bought a purse I bargained in down $50! I probably was still getting ripped off but I like it and its still holding together! There was a small doughnut stand that brought back some childhood memories of the Oak Park Farmers Market, the cinnamon sugar doughnuts...yum! they smelled just the same but they were sold out and my hopes and dreams were crushed. We settled for Krispy Kremes later, eh, close enough.


We wondered the city and took in the cool architecture. There was an interesting mix of classic old building and incredibly modern and artistic buildings right next to each other. I really felt like a tourist because I walked around looking up all day, I couldn't get over how cool some of the buildings were. I really enjoyed the feel of Melbourne, it felt very European and small, much more cultured than Sydney. I love them both, they just have very different feels. Me and Court did a bit of souvenir shopping, walked around and rode the tram. Public transit here with the trams is so much easier than Sydney! Also is was so much cheaper, aka it was free! Actually I don't think it really was, but we never figured out how to pay and we weren't mad about it!

That night all of us ladies met up for a dinner together in St. Kilga. Along our travels there were came across a very interesting character, this 70 something man was telling us a story that he had written, cant really remember the story expect that were was lots of killings and "boos!" in it, interesting guy. We ate at this really cute pizza restaurant. It was small gourmet pizzas and the menus was written on a chalkboard on the wall. The pizza was phenomenal as well as the hot chocolate and wine! We had a nice dinner and we all enjoyed our selves and felt very satisfied. This was all until at the end of our meal we spotted the cutest little thing....a baby mouse! Cute but freaked us all out, it was running around the fire place which we were sitting pretty close to. We all sat with a feet picked up off the ground in fear it might run up our leg or something!Yuck! That night we stayed in, which was a good choice because we had a big day ahead of us. Although we didn't go out, I still only got one hour of sleep...bad moves

It was bad moves because we were up at 6:30 to go pick up our MINI VAN! yup! Monday we rented a car to go drive the Great Ocean Road. Guess who was elected to drive, me. I was so nervous, not only was I driving on the wrong side of the road, I was driving this big old minivan! I got the hang of the other side of the road thing pretty quickly, just a little difficult with turns, but most of the driving was on a highway. phew! It took us about two hours to get to the Great Ocean Road, which was basically a road that drove right along the coastline on cliffs that twisted and turned everywhere with steep drops and hill with amazing views. It also took you through the rain forest too. The drive was beautiful, and I love to drive so I thoroughly enjoyed it. It only took me 2 coffees and a can of coke to get me going! We drove the the 12 Apostle which is the main tourist attraction. The were pretty cool, you wouldn't think so because they are just big rocks in the water, but they were pretty cool! It reminded me of the Cliffs of Moore in Ireland! We basically saw the apostles took some pictures had some laughs and hopped in the car to race back to the airport to make our flights. We made it with 25 minutes to spare! yessss! It was a full day of driving though and I was exhausted!

It was great seeing the boys and seeing the city! We came back to Sydney and back to reality and heaps of home work! That's why these posts have been few and far between. Too much work to do :(

1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful and so happy to hear that you are the seasoned adventurer! and the driver! (mini-van is smaller than a firetruck....)

    love you, miss you ..... home very, very soon! xoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete